Saturday, August 30, 2014

Rules and regulations - dogs are VERY expensive!

Just the heart worm and flea/tick pills are nearly $100 for a three-month supply. That's better than my sweetheart having fleas or heart worms, but back in the 50s dogs had fleas and occasionally died of heart worms. My own dog as a child went through that, and I would never want Hogan to suffer that way, so I guess I'll have to pay the price for heart worm and flea medication. Not to mention all the other regular vaccinations they need, such as rabies. So just regular upkeep is going to be about a thousand a year, not to mention extra mileage taking him for walks and doggie day care for when I'm going to be tied up for the better part of the day.

I found the PERFECT doggie day care for Hogan, yes! They are so nice and take the dogs out to pee and poop in the grass yard as opposed to having to be confined to a cement "run" and pee and poo there, which Hogan will NEVER do. He is soooooo house trained! They were crazy about him and only charged $10.00. 

Of course, in order to take him to doggie day care, they have to be up to date on all their shots. And there are probably other scenarios as well. It's not like the old days where you got a dog and all you had to do was feed it the leftovers. Frankly, I am completely surprised (but happily so) by all the rules and regulations. As I mentioned before, my beloved childhood dog died of heart worms and she suffered miserably for several weeks before my mother finally had her put to sleep.

shhhhh . . . another rule and regulation is a small trail that we visit that doesn't allow dogs. I had seen all the signs, which pretty much said the same thing all park signs say - no firearms, no bicycles, etc., - but until a lady in a car stopped and told me, never did I notice that dogs were not allowed. Really? Really. Not just "Dogs must be on a leash" or "You must pick up after your dog's business" or even "Dogs are not allowed on trail", but "Dogs are not allowed on the trail or any of the fields", which pretty much takes care of the whole property. It also happens to be the closest one to my house. We still go, just early in the morning or late in the evening and not when a lot of people are around, but if we ever get caught by anyone other than the lady in the car who was outraged that she was told not to walk her dog there, I guess we'll have to petition City Hall.

Because that's my second amazement. In this part of the world, I almost never see anyone walking a dog on a leash. Once in a blue moon I see someone walking with their unleashed dog in a very rural area, which causes me to have to come to a complete stop while they grab the dog's collar and pull them out of the middle of the two-lane road, but except for a few times while going to the Y, located in the middle of downtown Lexington, do I rarely see someone actually walking a dog on a leash. There is NO WAY Hogan will be anything BUT on a leash outside! Sounds cruel, you say? How about the time he saw a rabbit and shot after it, nearly ripping my arm off? I would have lost him forever if he hadn't have been on a leash.

My original plan was to get an invisible fence, but now that I know Hogan, I won't do it. First, he doesn't like to play, which was my main reason, so that we could go outside and throw/retrieve balls, etc., except he doesn't do that. Second, there isn't a doubt in my mind that if he sees a rabbit or a squirrel, he would suffer right through the electric force to go after them. When we were at the vet, he took his shot with only a small cough and didn't even flinch when the fecal sample was taken. He would buzz right through that electric fence. Good thing I didn't get it!




No comments:

Post a Comment