Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A break for Hogan (and me)

I ate some bad food last weekend, and while I felt okay yesterday, today it tore into me again. Hogan now only likes to poop only when we go on long (1-mile) walks instead of in the back yard. This morning I woke up not feeling good at all. I set my alarm so that I could take him outside, then feed him, then wait an hour to take him outside again for No. 2 before going back to sleep. We went outside a little over an hour after he ate and he had no inclination of pooping. I was so sleepy as I hadn't slept well the night before, so I put him in his crate when I laid down, not wanting to test him to make sure he wouldn't poop indoors. Just as I was falling asleep about 20 minutes later, he started whining.It's the first time he's ever whined since he arrived here permanent on August 2.  I couldn't decide what to do. I didn't want him to think that if he starts whining while in the crate, he'll get released, but on the other hand, I knew it was way past time to poop. After waiting a few more minutes, he kept whining, so I got his leash and brought him straight outside from the crate and he pooped away. He then laid down with me in bed and we took a short nap.

One thing I wish he would do is let me know when he wants to go outside to do his business. I don't, and won't, have a doggie door. When I was a kid, my dog scratched on the door to let us know she wanted out, but I don't want him scratching on my door either. I guess I'll just keep taking him outside when it's been a few hours since the last time.

Meanwhile, it's been a looooong time since I've felt so complete! My daughter visits, my niece and nephew visit, friends visit, but this is the first time since my cat died in 2010 that I've had an animal friend living with me. Not that my cat was much of a friend. He and I basically went our separate ways. I fed and watered him and changed his cat litter; he hung out on window ledges. He was very good - didn't scratch furniture or climb on tables or countertops, but he rarely acknowledged me and only cuddled with me in bed when it was very cold and he wanted body heat. He was beautiful, though, in a way a dog can never be. Dogs are cute; cats are beautiful.

Thinking maybe Hogan needs a cat to chase around the house . . . NOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment